Inaugural post

Welcome to a stream of random thoughts about technology.

This is my first blogging experience.  I plan to share experiences applying technology to solve business problems.  And interesting tidbits I run across from others.  It is my hope a few folks will find interest in what is posted here.  I look forward to your comments and learning from your experience regarding the topics posed.

I've spent in the neighborhood of 20 years working in the field of Information Technology.  Over the past 12 years, my primary focus has been leading or advising large-scale software development projects, with global operational impact, for a Fortune 100 company.

Most of my time is spent these days with enterprise architecture planning and related concerns.  I'm often engaged in business analysis, software architecture, software design and coding, database design, messaging, performance tuning, and capacity planning.  In recent years, Java and Linux have been the widgets of choice.  Typically, I am involved in operating systems, networks, and other infrastructure items only when necessary, which seems to be quite often. :-)

In recent months, I've been consumed with implementing an application that is deployed across 3 (or more) geographically-distributed data center locations in an Active/Active configuration.  The design enables requests to be serviced from any data center for high-availability and fault/disaster tolerance.  Another focus area is application modernization.  As a result, of special interest is Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and Event Driven Architecture (EDA) based solutions deployed and managed at "enterprise scale".

Some useless trivia about me:
  • I grew up on a farm outside Natchez, Mississippi.
  • I was a walk-on football player in college and earned a full athletic scholarship.  My teammates and I enjoyed participating in 3 bowl games.
  • I'm an avid SEC football fan, having missed only 1 Ole Miss home football game since 1988.
  • I'm a lifelong New Orleans Saints football fan.
  • My first computer program was written in BASIC on a TRS-80 Model I.
  • My first "corporate" computer program was written in COBOL on an IBM 3090 mainframe.  I still think JCL is cool.
  • Nostalgia abounds.  I've developed software for PC, AS/400, and UNIX (Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, Siemens RM600, Pyramid Nile, AT&T 3B2) platforms.
  • I dogged Apple for 30 years.  Until I bought an iMac to do some iPhone development.
  • My first application for Android, SEC Football Guide 2010, received notice as a Top 20 application by Information Week.
  • I produce a weekly radio program on Sports 56 WHBQ in Memphis, TN USA
  • I was a youth football coach (Defensive Coordinator and Kicking/Punting) for a couple years in the OBYFCL league.  A very rewarding experience.
Last revised: February 9, 2011